Friday, November 07, 2008

Disasters Avoided

There are many joys of being a parent of a two-year-old. This week, I also got to experience two heart dropping moments.

The first one occured on Wednesday. About a month ago we moved Eva out of the nursery and into the "big girl room," complete with a twin bed, new dresser, and her many cherished things. The transition went so well! (Sometime when the room is cleaned up, I'll post pictures). Anyway, after her nap, she called to me as she usually does. When I went to open the door, I found it locked. Before I panicked too much, I asked her to turn the knob. She did and it unlocked easily. Luckily, I didn't have to move forward with the "how to get trapped daughter out of her locked bedroom" plan.

Then there was yesterday... Our whole family was dressed and ready to get out the door when I decided to run downstairs to get a water bottle out of our basement fridge. As I was opening the door, I heard a little voice say, "I come too." Immediately after that, I heard the sickening sound of a toddler falling down the stairs (augmented by the sound of her frantic father dashing down behind her in hopes of helping). Needless to say it was a very unpleasant experience for all three of us. Eva, although scared, managed the fall with ease and had no signs of injury. She even calmed down surpisingly fast. As one of my coworkers quotes "her guardian angel was watching over her." (Common lingo at the Catholic college where I work.)

Reflecting on the week, I feel very blessed that both incidents were minor. And, for the sake of my poor heart, we'll hope we can breeze through the next few weeks without any more potential "disasters."

2 comments:

Randy said...

wow, we went through both these same events with Stevie. I actually watched him tumble down our basement steps once, and he barely cried. I almost had a heart attack. When Stevie was about 2-1/2, he locked the bathroom door on me, while the tub was filling up! I almost had to break the door down, but he finally popped the lock as the water was near the top of the tub.

Randy

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness how awful! I'm so glad that Eva is o.k...it's truly amazing how resilient kids are; though these experiences are ones the parents never forget! I once locked MYSELF out of the house (going to get the mail) with Katie sleeping in her crib (about 6 months old at the time) and Allie playing around the house. At about 19 months, she wasn't quite savvy enough to understand my shouted directions to unlock the glass patio door. After calling a locksmith from a neighbor's house, I somehow managed to communicate to her how to unlock and the day was saved! Still, it's so scary!