Friday, July 11, 2008

Ladies of the House

Eva is sound asleep and I am enjoying the quiet of the house. Les left tonight for his first of two summer army commitments. In total, he will be gone just over six weeks - two weeks now, a return home for a week, and another month away.

Thinking back, it is amazing how things have changed. In the past, I can remember feelings of emptiness and lonliness while he was gone. While we were dating, I was the one to leave for Spain or a semester in Minnesota. I was not used to being the one left behind. The time was usually filled with work, hobbies, and nights with the girls and it always passed quicker than I anticipated.

This time, my feelings are completely different. Left with a house to keep up, a busy toddler, and two part time jobs, I feel more anxiety about keeping my head afloat than I do sadness. Thankfully my pregnancy is progressing and I am much less tired than I was in the first trimester. I do feel a little sad though, more for Eva than anything. While Les and I understand the idea of duty and obligation, she only knows that Daddy is not home. On the sunny side, he is only away for a brief time and is a short drive from home. He could be across the world for an extended time in a dangerous scenario. It's all about perspective...

2 comments:

Les Hollingsworth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Les Hollingsworth said...

Hi Ladies,

Missing you both too. I'll be home before you know it.